Thursday, February 3, 2011

What To Do When It's 40 Below

So this is what we did yesterday:  



This movie is one of my all-time favorites.  Right up there with Nodding Hill and Cheaper by the Dozen.  (Sorry, I don't have sophisticated taste in movies!)  It's a funny, sweet story about little sisters and special aunts.  It'll  make you laugh and cry.  It takes place in Portland, OR, and it has good music, too.

If you're familiar with Ramona, you know she tries to help, but usually just messes everything up.  Her funny escapades really remind me of a few little girls that I know!

This movie also reminds me that my kids are really lucky.  They have three special aunts.  Really awesome aunts. : )  I'm so glad they have you three.


Today the kids are back at school.  I guess they figured out how to get the buses' diesel fuel to not gel in this cold weather.



And, on much lighter note, (as Ann Curry would say),  here's some info on the white cabinets (after the jump below).  I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!  Feel free to check it out if you're interested:







So this is a house that our architect designed.  It is smaller than our house, but a somewhat similar style.  Our house is what they call a post and beam construction, meaning the posts and beams are exposed in parts of the house.  The style is considered a mountain contemporary.  To me, this means that we will use clean, modern lines with natural materials from the outside of the house, like stone, wood beams, iron work, reclaimed wood, etc. . .

*this photo is from keith kelly's website.[inspiration-kitchen1.jpg]*i'm not sure where this photo is from.  i bookmarked it from another blog. 
This is kinda the look I'm thinking of for the kitchen.  Here's why:  Love the white square cabinets with the stainless.  Our kitchen is on the north end of the house, I want it to be as sunny as I can get it.  Love the farmhouse sink.  And the old wood shelf with the stainless bowls.  Love the subway tiles with the sand colored grout.  Love the concrete floor.  Love the hardware on the cabinets.  And the fact that there's not a ton of overhead storage.  I think it really opens things up.  I'm totally  drawn to everything in this photograph.  Even the artichokes.  If our new kitchen turns out anything like this, I would be super-excited. 
There's many things about the above kitchen that keep it more affordable:  the open shelving, fewer cabinets, simple cabinet style, standard tile.
But here's the problem:  both the architect and the builder nearly vomit when I tell them we're going with white.  ( I say white, but I 'm really thinking a creamy white.)  They're both super talented and experienced, so I'm more than a little nervous to break away from their opinion.  But they're guys, and men can get a little attached to wood grain.  I think white is just a little too sweet for their taste.
Even the decorator lady with the really loud laugh is shying away from white, too.  She's trying to talk me into an orange island.  And she keeps telling me my "style" is country.  Country?!  I just don't think she's getting me.  I mean, I do want a farmhouse sink, but does that necessarily make my kitchen "country?"
My hunch is that it will work.  Especially if we incorporate some beams, stone, and maybe a wood-stained island.  And some industrial-type lighting.  We're putting in wood floors and (hopefully!) concrete countertops.  I think that will toughen up the white a little.   So what do you think?  I either need a little encouragement to go for it, or talk me off the ledge!
                      Jeesh!  You'd think I was getting ready to go parachuting or something.

      But I really appreciate some input on this!   And I realize that some of you may not care about this at all. . . and I totally understand. : ) 


 

1 comment:

lonestark said...

Mel,

I think this kitchen is PERFECT and very you. A lot of mountain homes have darker cabinets and a more rustic feel which is probably the attraction the contractors have with it. Even though I have cheap cabinetry and dislike them because of it, I love the white. And as I said before, something with an off-white, slightly cream color to it will look great.

My only advice is that in this kitchen there aren't many upper cabinets so I would make sure the island has a lot or that you have a huge pantry.

I love farmhouse sinks as well, great choice. what sort of countertop would you do? Granite? If grantite something with a lot of brown & gold would go great in here.

Good job!!
Karen