Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day






The 5th graders at Gillian's school honored veterans today.   They did such a good job!!  Gillian even sang a little solo in the video above : ).  

The program was SO good!  Many veterans(maybe 50?) attended, and they were so moved by the kids.  It made me feel so proud to be a part of this country, where so many dads & uncles & grandpas & moms & sisters give so much for us.  

Thank you Veterans!!  Here are members of our family that have served in the US Military.  (I hope I get them all!  If I forgot somebody, please let me know.)

Jasper Scheer. . . Captain in the Army stateside during Vietnam . . . Bryan's Dad
Sidney Easley. . . Air Force, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. . .Bryan's Grandad
Patrica Easley. . . Womens Army Air Corps. . . Bryan's Nana
John Scheer. . . Navy, Vietnam. . . Bryan's uncle
James Shaw. . . Army. . .Bryan's other uncle
Max Foutch. . . Army. . . my uncle
Mark Andersen. . . Marines, Desert Storm. . . my cousin
Keith Anderson. . . Army (currently enrolled at West Point). . . my cousin Paul's son
Ben Stankevitz . . . Air Force, Desert Storm. . . my brother-in-law

*I made a few corrections.  If there's any others, please let me know.

Thank you.

*did you know that Veteran's Day used to be called Armistice Day (the day fighting in WWI was over), and in 1954 it was declared Veteran's Day? And that it's honored as the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month?  you probably already knew that, huh?  Great Britain and France honor this day, too, but they call it Remembrance Day.  Bet you didn't know that!!

5 comments:

lonestark said...

Lovely tribute, Mel! This day always makes me reflect on the sacrifices our soldiers and their families make for our country. Sid actually served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Our dad was in the Army (Captain) stateside during Vietnam for several years. And Uncle John was in the Navy. And Nana was in the Women's Army Air Corps.

lonestark said...

Oh yeah, and Gillian did GREAT! She's got a lovely voice and I'm so proud of her. Miss you guys!

Melanie said...

Sorry to leave out your dad! I knew he worked for the Army, I just didn't realize he was enlisted. I should have asked Bryan instead of relying on my rusty memory : )!

lonestark said...

LOL, no worries! I loved the post all the same. We've had so many vets in the family and am learning through the genealogy research that our side of the family has had someone in just about every war since the 1600s. Not sure about the War of 1812, but all the others are covered. I'll bet it's the same on your side. Thanks, Mel!

DSS said...

Not a blood relative, but your brother-in-law was in the Air Force during Desert Storm :)
Just love reading your blog Mel! Way to go Gillian!