Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Making Tracks



We went on a snowshoeing adventure out to the pond and the creek looking for frogs.

There weren't any frogs out yet.





The photo below gives you an idea of how deep the snow is!  The snow was much softer down by the creek.  So I just stayed back, snapped pictures, and offered advice.


Bryan scouted out the snow down by the creek.

He was not loving this so much!

The Rainbows (trout) are supposedly hatching spawning right now.  We didn't see any.  We couldn't get down to the creek.

Fascinating fish, trout are. (That's Yoda-speak. . . sorry, I watched Star Wars last night.)

Did you know they are related to salmon?  And they swim upstream to the spot they were hatched to lay their own eggs, and then they die?  Just like salmon!

That's all for animal facts.

Oh, wait!  I've got a question for you:  Do you know what the thingy hanging under the moose's chin is called?  No googling! 

*answer below!







It was all kinds of fun. : )


*It's called a Dewlap.  Yep.





3 comments:

lonestark said...

All I can think is "brrrr" and "should I tell them about the 90 degree week we just had and my flip-flop suntan?"

Melanie said...

I am counting down the days we come to visit you. Flip flops & suntan lotion already packed! : )

Pam said...

Can't wait!!