Monday, March 21, 2011

Behind the Wheel


This was the day we gave Sam the key to the car and let him drive by himself (with Gaby) to Subway to get a sandwich.  It's only maybe a mile away.  

Bryan and I followed him the whole way.  But only because I forgot to tell him to pick us up at the house.  And I didn't want to call him on his cell phone.  
I'm really not paranoid.

He did just fine.





The whole moment reminded me of that commercial where the dad is giving the keys to his preschool-aged daughter.  He tells her to drive safe and to call him when she gets there.  (But not while she's driving.) 

That's really what it felt like.  I really pictured Sam looking like his 3-year old self.


Parenting is just a series of teaching and then letting go.  That's the hardest part.



But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.  Spread your protection over them that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

Psalms 5:11

No comments: